OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Working within a new Advanced technology and Innovation team in creation and incubation of ideas to be used for future SAIC vehicle programs. Working within areas of pre- autonomy, connected and electrification creating a new era in which emerging technologies can be fully harnessed for future opportunities.
• In conjunction with the engineers, you’ll be managing the system delivery, identifying and containing functional issues. You’ll also manage the timing issues through liaison with system engineers, managers, and third-party suppliers. Another technical duty will be to test the system to ensure that it has met the required specification, manage any issues that may arise, and look for solutions to these developments.
• As an ideal candidate, you’ll possess great knowledge of systems engineering and come from an automotive or aerospace background.
• Highly motivated and self-starting, you’ll have an awareness of system engineering principles and the software development lifecycle. This will include software requirements, authoring and decomposition into software units, and finally problem-solving reporting tools such as Six Sigma, 5D, Is/Is Not, Fault Tree, etc.
• You’ll have had experience of logical, physical systems architecture, and both functional and non-functional requirements design. You’ll also need an understanding of quality methods and experience with real-time control systems design. Finally you’ll have worked on component, system, and vehicle level issue investigation, software development delivery diagnostic system strategy implementation, vehicle network configuration, and requirement capture and design.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
You’ll also be responsible for coordinating with control systems as well as hardware and software engineers to ensure robust and timely software deliveries. In addition, you’ll be helping to develop and execute robust electrical system validation and vehicle testing. You’ll also develop and maintain Manufacturing and Service documentation for the electrical system. Finally, you’ll ensure that requirements on the other system and modules are clearly cascaded and that the timing plans are in place to support the system development and delivery.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Significant engineering experience – up to 10 years experience within a Component or Vehicle Engineering function
• Significant knowledge and experience of vehicle based systems.
• Good knowledge of emerging industry trends.
• Understanding of commonly utilised Operating Systems.
• A sound specific component and system knowledge with a broad understanding of vehicle integration and the overall vehicle delivery process, or good knowledge of whole vehicle engineering delivery and integration.
• Where appropriate to system engineering roles, a wide experience of supplier technical appraisal, nomination, liaison and component delivery management.
• Good IT skills & experience of appropriate software applications (Excel, MS Project etc.)
• An ability to operate across national and cultural boundaries requiring sensitivity and understanding but on occasions technical leadership in focussed skill areas.
• Previous experience of working outside the UK (preferably in China or with Chinese companies).
• Knowledge of change management activities and processes.
• Good communication skills at all levels within an engineering function.
• A flexible and committed attitude and motivated to deliver in difficult and changing circumstances.
• Demonstrable understanding and awareness of costs.
• Good organisational & prioritisation skills.
• A recognised qualification (preferably a degree) in Electrical Engineering or Automotive Engineering or other relevant discipline.
• Knowledge of DFSS up to yellow belt level.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).