OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Working within a new Advanced technology and Innovation team in creation and incubation of ideas to be used for future SAIC vehicle programs. Working within areas of pre- autonomy, connected and electrification creating a new era in which emerging technologies can be fully harnessed for future opportunities.
• Responsible for the planning and delivery of the software strategies for existing and future vehicle platforms.
• Responsible for providing specialist support and reports into senior management on software feature trends.
• Attend international conferences and report back finding to senior management.
• Coordinating and assisting in the validation and testing of new features and software.
• Producing and delivering reports of benchmarking other OEM developments to ensure our company strategy competitiveness.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
You'll be an experienced and highly motivated software engineer with the ability to manage the design & development of low-level software processes. Using thorough understanding of embedded software design and development processes in real-time applications, you'll be able to develop software and deliver through all stages of the engineering development ‘V’ cycle, from requirements to validation. You'll have dealt with low-level driver implementation on 32-, 16-, and 8-bit microcontrollers, and experience with NXP MPC55xx, HCS08 would be an advantage. You’ll be required to demonstrate proficiency in using test equipment including (but not limited to) CANalyzer, CANape, oscilloscope, digital logic analyser, and other test equipment.
In addition to the above, you should have previously worked with Lauterbach debuggers and possess a good understanding of a MathWorks toolchain (Matlab / Simulink / Stateflow) for real-time applications to ensure success with this position.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Significant engineering experience – up to 10 years experience within a Component or Vehicle Engineering function
• Significant knowledge and experience of software systems.
• Good knowledge of emerging industry trends.
• Understanding of commonly utilised Operating Systems.
• A sound specific component and system knowledge with a broad understanding of vehicle integration and the overall Vehicle delivery process, or good knowledge of whole vehicle engineering delivery and integration.
• Where appropriate to system engineering roles, a wide experience of supplier technical appraisal, nomination, liaison and component delivery management.
• Good IT skills & experience of appropriate software applications (Excel, MS Project etc.)
• An ability to operate across national and cultural boundaries requiring sensitivity and understanding but on occasions technical leadership in focussed skill areas.
• Previous experience of working outside the UK (preferably in China or with Chinese companies).
• Good communication skills at all levels within an engineering function.
• A flexible and committed attitude and motivated to deliver in difficult and changing circumstances.
• Good organisational & prioritisation skills.
• A recognised qualification (preferably a degree) in Electrical Engineering or Automotive Engineering or other relevant discipline.
• Knowledge of DFSS up to yellow belt level.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).