OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The IT Network Engineer is responsible for operating and maintaining the company’s Network Infrastructure to adequately support the business requirements.
• Make operational changes and troubleshoot LAN and WAN network faults based on the following technologies and vendors / models –
o Cisco 6500 and 4500 (IOS) core switches
o Cisco 5500 (CatOS) distribution switches
o Cisco 2950 and 2960 (IOS) access switches
o Cisco Integrated Services Routers (WAN and VPN)
o Cisco IPSec VPN (using both IOS routers and ASA firewalls)
o Cisco ASA firewall
o Checkpoint FW/1 on Nokia IPSO
o Juniper Netscreen FW (ScreenOS)
o Wireless networking
o QoS, MPLS, E1, IPv4, OSPF, EIGRP
o Riverbed Steelhead WAN Accelerators
• Follow Change Management process (raise change requests, present proposals to Change Review Board)
• Use fault management system to track progress of network faults
• Deliver a secure and reliable network platform for the business to carry out its operations, which is aligned with the Company’s local and global polices and strategic objectives.
• Keep abreast of new technological developments.
• To assist the IT department in developing strategic plans for the development of the IT network requirements within the business
• Maintain good working relationship with central IT function in China
• To negotiate between internal IT and external suppliers to resolve highly technical network issues to ensure that projects and work packages are delivered on time and within budget.
• To be responsible and accountable for network security; to actively review, monitor and improve network infrastructure security, undertake regular programme of self-audit and base lining by utilising the appropriate tools in conjunction with formal audits.
• To be responsible and accountable for changes affecting the IT network infrastructure and that such changes take place in a controlled and auditable manner.
• Advise on the technical specification relating to the development or procurement of new IT network infrastructure, developing of business cases if appropriate.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
Support the technical requirements for the development and delivery of the IT network infrastructure within SMTC UK. To execute this effectively the job holder must demonstrate excellent technical skills gained through extensive IT network experience and a good level of communication skills.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Significant experience within an IT Network Operations environment
• A strong knowledge of Cisco LAN and WAN switching and routing, IPSec VPN and firewalls
• Experience with network monitoring tools would be beneficial
• Experience of administering and managing network infrastructure within an automotive engineering business would be beneficial
• Experience of managing project schedules
• Experience of working against ISO9001 standards for IT systems administration and management would be beneficial
• Good communication skills, both verbal for discussing ideas with colleagues from technical and non-technical roles; and written for user base communications and systems documentation
• Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in an IT related discipline
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification beneficial – training can be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• External suppliers including third party service providers and vendors
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• Engineering COC Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers.
• UK support functions, including Finance, HR, Purchasing
• Central IT
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
Due to the nature of the role, it is necessary for some tasks to be performed outside these key business hours. Flexibility of working hours is a key requirement.
• The job title / description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).