OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
IS&S Infrastructure Systems Engineer position within a small team managing specific project implementations within a diverse environment. This role covers the migration of the current MS Exchange 2003 infrastructure to Exchanger 2013. This project is likely to last approximately 3-months.
• Responsible for design and installation of a new MS Exchange 2013 infrastructure to support SMTC UK’s requirements
• Responsible for delivering specific technology upgrade projects within our existing server technologies – Windows, UNIX, Linux and VMware and SAN storage technologies
• Develop plans for further streamlining increased efficiency of our infrastructure systems to reduce cost and increase service performance
• Providing design and planning support for the development of new systems
• Ensuring systems and support processes are correctly documented to a high standard
SCOPE OF THE JOB
Support the technical requirements for the development and delivery of Microsoft Exchange infrastructure within SMTC UK. To execute this effectively the job holder must demonstrate excellent technical skills gained through extensive IT experience and a good level of communication skills.
• Reports directly to the IS&S Team Leader
• Close working relationship with the UK IS&S Department
• Close working relationship with Central IS&S Team based in China
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Technical – Essential Skills
• Deep technical knowledge applicable to the project being delivered (MS Exchange, versions 2003 through 2013)
• Microsoft Windows Server infrastructure design, deployment, configuration and management/administration
• Knowledge of VMware infrastructure design, deployment, configuration and management/administration. The new Exchange infrastructure will be built on an existing VMware platform.
• TCP/IP networking knowledge including firewall implications would be beneficial
• Experience of backup technologies and processes, ideally Veritas NetBackup
• Active Directory design, configuration and management\administration
• Experience of maintaining a secure infrastructure.
• Monitor systems and identify performance issues proactively
• Demonstrable ability to create technical and user-based documentation to an excellent standard to assist in management, use, and disaster recovery of systems.
• An excellent level of education or experience, especially in the sphere of Information Technology and the Automotive Industry. Automotive Industry experienced is preferred.
• Microsoft and VMware certifications are expected
• A degree level qualification is preferable
• An analytical ability to understand our business requirements and convert them into technological solutions, enabling better services to be delivered to the user base.
• Highly motivated with a proven track record in an Infrastructure Systems Engineer role (minimum five years industry experience)
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal for discussing ideas with colleagues from technical and non-technical roles; and written for user base communications and systems documentation.
• A methodical and accurate approach to tasks.
• Ability to work well in a small team environment.
• Be willing to update skills in line with developments within the automotive industry and the business.
• Able to gather relevant information systematically to troubleshoot and resolve issues
• Experience of working to international standards such as ITIL and ISO.
• Experience of working in a change controlled environment
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification preferred.
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
Ability to maintain good working relationships with third party service providers and vendors
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management.
• Engineering Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers.
• UK support functions, including Finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
This project is a short-term requirement. The anticipated duration of the contract is 3 months.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).