OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
• To develop / create PTEC plans including budget / timing, in support of both Advanced Engine programs and Global Vehicle programs.
• Ensuring all programme and PTEC gateway deliverables are met and clearly presented back to the relevant project manager as well as Department Director.
• To co-ordinate and collate the weekly PTEC UK projects reports and present them to the global PTEC organisation.
• To Project Manage all aspects of PTEC tasks within both the Advanced Engine programs and Global Vehicle programs ensuring budgets / timing are fully agreed Globally within PT and UK program Leaders.
• To support PTEC Senior Manager in the development and delivery of a robust Product Definition Specification to meet future Powertrain and Vehicle requirements, including legislation driven tasks.
• Ensuring project plans are in place, at a component, system and vehicle level.
• Leadership of budget and resource planning, creation and maintenance.
• Highlight any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigate recovery plans.
• Ensuring that the team has the necessary tools, processes and leadership to achieve the deliverables at each phase.
• Ensuring that the correct predictive / analysis resources are used at the appropriate time.
• Ensure competitor benchmarking strategy is appropriately defined and conducted
• Support the strategy development with potential Suppliers, from a project management perspective.
• Environmental test trip planning.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• Responsible for developing plans to ensure all PTEC activities are conducted within the required programme timing and GVDP Gateway process.
• Driving forward innovation, best practice – including lessons learnt - and ensuring programme feasibility activities support the needs of the Business.
• Ensuring robust specifications are released to support all requirements of future Advanced Engine programs and Global Vehicle programs.
• Fully engage PTEC team in all programme proposals.
• Ensuring to provide the PTEC Snr Manager with status reports as required.
• Initiate and run departmental project reviews for effective progress tracking of Advanced Engine programs and Global Vehicle programs, including Global VSE’s.
• Developing skills through coaching and identifying and implementing training requirements within the team.
• Support RFQ preparation / RFQ responses as required with PTEC Senior Manager.
• Co-ordinate scheduling for all external testing.
• Fully support technical responses to SMTC China and SMTC China engineer training in the UK.
• Travel to China in support of project discussions as required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Significant project management experience – at least 4 full product cycles experience of Powertrain Engineering.
• Good working knowledge of PT Systems.
• Excellent IT skills & high level ability of appropriate software applications (Excel, MS Project etc.).
• Ability to provide effective liaison across functions.
• Detailed working knowledge of the automotive industry Quality and Product Change Processes, SMTC Engineering working knowledge preferred.
• Minimum HND or equivalent experience in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering.
• Structured and logical approach to problem solving.
• Ability to manage and work under challenging conditions in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent technical report writing, presentation preparation and delivery skills.
• Excellent communication skills, able to interact at all levels of the organisation.
• Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities.
• Enthusiastic, self motivated, patient and determined.
• Full driving licence.
• Prepared to work overseas as the business needs require.
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• Actively communicating with and providing status reports to Senior Management both in UK and CN for the all PTEC areas.
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management.
• Engineering COC Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers and Program Managers.
• SMTC CN VSE/CSA engineers – Actively communicating with the China Team, for project issues for all PTEC systems.
• Provide the PTEC Senior Manager programme status reports as required.
• UK support functions, including Finance, HR, Purchasing.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).