OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To lead the technical delivery and integration of chassis systems into AE delivery projects
For AE Delivery projects (A4-A1 gateways) & Pre A4 advanced technical development & innovation
• Define key chassis system targets and assumptions (based on cascaded whole vehicle targets)
• Lead the development of technical chassis strategies
• Lead technical delivery for all engineering activity within the AE chassis team
• Ensure that engineering is fully integrated, optimised and balanced to best meet targets for the project:
o Attribute delivery
o Vehicle Performance & Safety
o Cost & Quality
o System functionality and performance
o Complexity – including manufacturing
o Design proportion / styling requirements
• Engage stakeholders and customers where necessary to resolve issues and progress delivery
• Provide technical input and requirements into programme activity plans/develop key system timing plans that support main programme timing
• Ensure high quality technical inputs into gateway deliverables
• Develop global relationships with AE Chassis & Chassis department in China to promote global working – leverage services from these departments where skills/resources are not available in the UK
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Specific Technical job skills required:
• Strong technical knowledge of all key chassis systems, ability to assess strengths/weaknesses of options and provide recommendations for use within a vehicle architecture
• Technical Leadership capability – broad coverage of key chassis architecture systems (Frt/Rr Axle (including electric axles), Steering, Actuation, Foundation brakes, Fuel) sufficiently deep technical knowledge to interrogate and challenge engineers/suppliers to optimise and deliver excellent technical solutions
• Capability to understand chassis architecture principles, knowledge of competitor practice and key trends
• Capability to understand chassis architecture system interactions and how they affect performance, package, safety, cost, mass, styling and function
• Capability and experience to understand chassis system effects on BIW and associated load path and structural performance
• Understanding of vehicle dynamics
• Ability to set internal objective chassis targets based on high level cascaded VTS targets
• Ability to lead system reviews
• Full understanding of the Architecture Development Process and Global Vehicle Development Process
• Ability to initiate chassis concepts
Supporting job skills required:
• Ability to lead and develop a small highly technical design/engineering team within the global AE team
• Ability to present reports accurately and coherently and at a senior level – Director/President – to be able to coach team members
• Ability to lead meetings – specifically internal design/package reviews/strategy meetings and present findings/conclusions to management
• Ability to use negotiation techniques to resolve issues
• Strong analytical and investigative capability – ability to lead and coach others to use analytical approach
• Ideally Six Sigma Green Belt certified
• Good communication skills, ability to work globally and develop global partnership(s)
• Flexible, committed and motivated to work on more than one vehicle system at a time – ability to motivate team players within the group
• Ability to support business trips (and potentially longer term working) in China
• Experience of Supplier / customer interaction.
• Good organisational & prioritisation skills.
• Proactive and possesses the ability to work by themselves or part of a team.
• Has good working knowledge of PC tools Power Point, Word & Excel.
• Degree/HND or equivalent in Mechanical / Motorsport or Automotive Engineering.
• Extensive OEM experience, preferably as a member of an OEM chassis team and/or as a member of a Tier 1 chassis supplier
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• Ability to work closely with suppliers to develop technical proposals
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• Close working relationships with other departments; directors, senior managers and engineers both locally and globally.
• Role needs to work in full cooperation with Lead programme VCE role in AE so that technical delivery and project delivery are fully complimentary.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).