OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To identify and gather design related insight and intelligence, providing analysis, interpretation and assessment and developing evidenced based strategic proposals in support of UK Design development within the overall SAIC product portfolio
• Responsible for the design, planning and organisation of research projects and activities from start to finish.
• Responsible for the interpretation and processing of research information and compiling findings into meaningful, reliable and clear results.
• Carry out information gathering activities including; stakeholder interviews, observations, contextual inquiries, user interview, workshop and other methods.
• Gather and interpret information from Global Markets, in particular China.
• Able to analyse and interrogate Design aesthetic attributes and indentify key trends.
• Be capable of contributing and informing aspects of Design Strategy (Design Language, Layout, HMi, UX, future product strategy, Design PR etc.)
• Build relationships with Marketing and Planning functions and aid further understanding of requirements.
• Clearly communicate and present ideas and learning to Senior Management and Design team colleagues.
• Support the development of User-Experience scenario setting.
• Identify and Attend relevant conference, shows, events, seminars etc.
• Create trend reports and presentations to be delivered to design team and wider business.
• Integrate research into Innovation groups and projects.
• Promote safety and safe working practices within the Studio ensuring compliance to the relevant Health and Safety at Work Act
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• The SAIC European Design Centre is committed to delivering innovative and advanced design solutions through knowledge and understanding founded in research. The role of Design Strategist – Research & Trend is integral to the success of project Design Strategy and ultimately the overall studio output.
• The candidate should be curious of emerging and established trends around the World and be able to seek out relevant opportunities for exploration.
• A natural interest in the fields of; Automotive Design, Consumer, Technology, Communications, Fashion, Social Media, etc. is essential.
• The role will require natural instinct, good judgement and confident execution of ideas and findings which will drive the creativity throughout the entire design team and global business.
• As part of the European Technical Centre there will also be good opportunities to integrate with the innovation teams and projects.
• In order to build a more expansive knowledge base the role will require the candidate to engage with 3rd party organisations, universities, and experts etc. to gather research and develop partnerships opportunities.
• It is also relevant for the role to require travel to China and other parts of the world in order to obtain information, embark on market specific research activities and gain learning.
• The role will require a dynamic and integral interface to the global design team, with creative and expressive transfer of information to the team acting a source of inspiration.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Degree Qualification within field of Design and/or Design Research or equivalent.
• Excellent knowledge and ability to analyse;
o Design Trends; Automotive, Consumer trend, Fashion, Technology, etc.
o Global Markets requirements; China, Europe, US, ASEAN
o User Experience
o New to market and forthcoming product
• Design Research background or project activity where design research played a key role.
• Design Strategy.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills.
• Experience in Automotive Design - at least 2 years experience within OEM environment.
• Experience of project activity founded through consumer & trend research.
• Knowledge of Automotive Design processes.
• Outstanding software presentation skills & experience of relevant applications (Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint, Adobe PhotoShop & Others, etc.)
• Totally flexible, committed and motivated to deliver in all circumstances within a small team environment
• Well developed organisational & prioritisation skills.
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• Engage with 3rd party organisations, universities, and experts etc. to gather research and create joint opportunities for learning.
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• Work to direction and brief given by Head of Design Innovation and Advanced Context.
• Close working relationship with entire UK design team including Project Leaders, Modelling Manager, Design Manager and the Project Leaders.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).