OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
• Responsible for the product design within the cooling and lubrication functional grouping
• Concept development and design studies.
• Design detailing
• Drawing release.
• Prototype build support.
• Liaison with internal and external customers on project briefs and activity
• Provision of engineering design support for current product range
• Ensuring that all design studies are appropriately documented.
• Make design revisions and recommendations based on analysis results.
• Keeping abreast of the latest technology and where new techniques are available that would assist the core business, prepare documentation for discussion.
• Ensuring that a robust designs are released in time to support the requirements of GPADP / GPDP and that satisfy the PDS.
• Facilitating FMECAs at the appropriate time so that the output can be used to derive the test plan.
• Providing Programme Managers with status reports for their approved programmes.
• Using MS Project to track timing against the overall Project plan. Highlighting any deviation from plan at the earliest opportunity and instigating recovery plans.
• Understanding Material specifications and making initial recommendations.
• Abiding the Change Management team’s process and supporting Spec Gebas.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• Creator of designs that satisfy the requirements of the Product Design Specification in the business recognised CAD platform
• Ensure that the product design is compatible with the other functional groups
• Balance all the product attributes so that the key business parameters are satisfied
• Initially an integrator of proprietary components, then expanding into original designs as technical capability enhances
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Experience of Petrol engine design, specifically on cooling and lubrication systems.
• Ability to carry out basic design calculations relating to fluid systems to guide concept designs.
• A working knowledge of high volume production processes
• Degree or Masters in Mechanical Engineering or Automotive Engineering or equivalent.
• Proficient in Catia V5; including solid modelling, surfacing and drawings.
• Working level knowledge of TeamCentre beneficial.
• Familiar with Design Office systems
• BS8888 geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• Design For Assembly experience.
• MS Office suite
• Knowledge of CFD would be a distinct advantage
• GT Suite with specific knowledge of GT Cool would be a distinct advantage
• Willing and able to visit China for periods of time as part of a global team
• Supplier interface skills.
• Prepared to challenge the ‘status quo’ through an inquisitive nature.
• Attention to detail and good communication skills.
• Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities whilst recognising the wider business need.
• A team player.
• Enthusiastic, self motivated and determined to succeed.
• Full driving licence.
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management
• Engineering COC & Design leaders
• UK support functions, including finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
• The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).