OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To develop chassis axle concepts to support new vehicle architecture development
For AE Delivery projects (A4-A1 gateways) & Pre A4 advanced technical development & innovation
• Responsible for delivery of front and rear axle concepts from first principles for new vehicle projects/Architectures
• Responsible for development of axle strategy for the business, which is likely to include rationalisation of existing concepts plus development of new strategies going forward
• Ensure that concepts are optimised and balanced to meet the best targets for the project;
- Performance - including kinematics and simulation
- Cost & Quality
- System functionality and performance
- Ease of manufacture
• Engage stakeholders and customers where necessary to resolve issues and progress the delivery
• Develop global relationships with AE Chassis & Chassis department in China to promote global working – leverage services from these departments where skills/resources are not available in the UK
• Prioritising and managing personal workload to ensure objectives and timing are met
SCOPE OF THE JOB
Axle concept development to support AE work-stream, which includes pre-studies and A4-A1 gateway delivery projects
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Specific Technical job skills required:
• Excellent CAD skills – CATIA V5, ability to use kinematics, able to develop chassis axle concepts from first principles, taking advise from chassis technical experts where required
• Full capability to operate in Team Centre environment and use Viz-Mock-up tools
• Capability in parametric tools to enhance quality and improve effciency
• Strong detailed technical knowledge of front and rear axle systems, ability to assess strengths/weaknesses of options and provide recommendations for use within a vehicle architecture
• Understanding of technical aspects of systems/component development (e.g. DFMEA’s, DVP, Materials, Finish specifications)
• Capability and experience to understand chassis system effects on BIW and associated load path and structural performance
• Understanding of basic vehicle dynamics and how the axle systems will affect overall vehicle dynamics
• Ability to lead CAD based system reviews/live presentations using CAD data
• Full understanding of the Architecture Development Process and Global Vehicle Development Process
Supporting job skills required:
• Ability to lead multi-functional design reviews
• Ability to present reports/CAD data accurately and coherently and at a senior level, Manager/Director, to be able to coach team members
• Ability to lead meetings – specifically internal design/package reviews
• Ability to use negotiation techniques to resolve issues
• Strong analytical and investigative capability
• Ideally Six Sigma Green Belt certified
• Good communication skills, ability to work globally and develop global partnership(s)
• Flexible, committed and motivated to work on more than one vehicle system at a time, ability to motivate team players
• Ability to support business trips (and potentially longer term working) in China
• Experience of Supplier / customer interaction.
• Good organisational & prioritisation skills.
• Proactive and possesses the ability to work by themselves or part of a team.
• Has good working knowledge of PC tools Power Point, Word & Excel.
• Degree/HND or equivalent in Mechanical / Motorsport or Automotive Engineering
• Extensive OEM experience, preferably as a member of an OEM chassis team and/or as a member of a Tier 1 chassis supplier
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• External suppliers
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior Management
• AE Delivery VCE
• Chassis Technical Systems Manager
• Chassis, package, BiW engineers both in the UK & China
• UK support functions, including finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).