OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide forecasts for vehicle performance and fuel economy at the early stages of development and provide direction to optimize these attributes. Ensure that Performance & Fuel Economy status is tracked against targets throughout each programme and reported on accordingly. Ensure that the certification process is adequately supported for EU programmes.
• Acquiring vehicle, engine and transmission data from all relevant departments in the company in both China and the UK for use in vehicle simulations.
• Compiling a library of data/results for all current and future vehicles and sanity checking analysis of the data/results to ensure their integrity and reliability.
• Specifying additional data required to improve the simulations and requesting/following up other departments to collect this data.
• Understanding the sensitivity of the simulation results to the quality of the input data.
• At the early stages of a programme use experience/ benchmark data to provide predictions for FE/CO2 and develop ‘route maps’ to achieve targets.
• Running vehicle simulations using AVL Cruise to determine acceleration performance, top speed and fuel consumption on both NEDC and WLTP drive cycles.
• Determining sensitivity of P & FE to input parameters such as weight, rolling resistance, Cd, fuel map, calibration strategy, drive cycle etc.
• Simulating new CO2 emission reduction technologies and optimisation of complementary control strategies for their implementation.
• Liaising with Global counterparts (principally in China) to create a global AVL Cruise simulation working group sharing simulation data, results, methods and procedures.
• Developing, recording & agreeing methods & procedures to ensure the best possible repeatable simulation results.
• Conducting all calculations to enable WLTP emissions tests to be conducted – e.g. determination of gear shift points, determination of load curve coefficients etc.
• Ensure that all WLTP data is collected to enable CO2MPAS calculations can be completed, conduct CO2MPAS calculations and demonstrate this to Type Approval Authorities where appropriate.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Graduate level or equivalent, with a strong aptitude for, and preferably with experience of, detailed analysis and optimisation of vehicle performance and fuel economy (P & FE) using AVL Cruise Software. A methodical worker with a good numeracy skills and able to work to a consistently high level of accuracy. Highly self-motivated, quick learner, well organised with good communication skills, high levels of determination to achieve robust results and a thoroughly methodical approach. Familiar with the WLTP regulation & CO2MPAS software and associated calculation methodologies
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
EU Commission – Joint Research Centre
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management.
• Engineering COC Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers. UK support functions, including finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).