OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide a skilled technician support service to the Powertrain Development team.
Build/Rig/Test/Strip the complete range of SAIC Powertrain products to the required SMTC standard.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• Operation of Powertrain test benches (fired and non-fired) in VPC according to required SMTC engineering standards
• Preparation of the Powertrain elements of any test whether in vehicle or on a rig
• Powertrain Test execution to agreed test plans and parameters
• Ability to diagnose running/starting problems both in vehicle and on a Powertrain rig
• Assist in the resolution of Mechanical and electrical issues relating to the Powertrain functionality (performance, calibration and durability) on all programmes.
• Support the post test strip and analysis process.
• Support any Powertrain test requirements overseas (particularly China although other locations may be necessary) as the business needs.
• Technicians report to the Test Facility Principal Engineer
• Guidance and technical direction for project matters is provided by the Development Engineers
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• The technician must be very computer literate, as most test benches require simultaneous operation of up to 3 PCs
• The types of software associated with running a test bench include:
A&D ACAP /CAS
Mathworks MBC toolbox
Signal & HORIBA Analyser Benches
Bosch ME EMS Suite
Technicians who are familiar with the above will be at an advantage, although as software and interfaces are continually evolving in our rapidly changing technological environment, training will be provided on the latest tool sets employed.
• Should have extensive hands on experience of engine/transmissions mechanics, capable of performing the usual engine tasks such as adjustment of cam timing and measurement of compression ratio for example, as well as being familiar with the correct process by which to strip and rebuild an engine/transmission.
• Sound knowledge of the Gas exchange process in an internal combustion engineer (Gasoline and Diesel) is essential.
• Capable of interfacing with modern day vehicle electrical systems and is able to run diagnostic scripts, for engine and transmissions functions.
• It is expected that the successful candidate will come from a mechanical/vehicle testing background having completed a Technical apprenticeship (NVQ3) or equivalent
• Be comfortable with a time and measures system for all aspects of the job, able to work under time pressures and still produce quality results.
• Be confident in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and be capable of operating Excel macro’s to perform data analysis tasks.
• Attention to detail and good communication skills.
• A team player.
• Enthusiastic, self motivated and determined to succeed with a keen sense of continuous improvement and professional development.
• Full clean driving licence,
• Flexible and prepared to work overseas as the business needs.
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• External suppliers
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management
• Engineering COC & Design leaders
• UK support functions, including finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
Double day shift (06:00-14:15 and 14:00-22:15)
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).