OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To improve the efficiency of the test process, by providing the tools necessary to ensure right first time data in the shortest possible time. A Facilitator of change so that we introduce smarter ways of testing, DoE techniques and that the resulting data is robust.
• Ability to specify the appropriate instrumentation for the task in hand
• Ensure a robust channel naming convention is in place for all instrumentation.
• Conduct the necessary programming in order to get measurement systems to communicate in a synchronised manner including the test bed front end
• Set all systems up necessary for the test (including INCA) and load the appropriate software level
• Able to debug running and instrumentation errors
• Able to programme the test headers in the test bed front end.
• Instigate a library of data so that all the necessary data is at hand on the test bed to remove duplication at the start of each test set up.
• Ensure that the data acquired is right first time, accurate, precise and has integrity. Ensure that this is stored in the correct location which is readily recallable.
• Programme the DoE in INCA ASCMO or Mathworks MBC
• If a standard test cycle is specified, programme this into the test cell
• Ensure that the test cell alarms / shutdowns are appropriate to protect the test prototype
• Instigate an automated test report from the test bed
• Keep abreast of the latest technology from an instrumentation and test facility perspective.
• Work with the Operations team in the specification of the equipment needed to drive the business forward.
• Prioritise workload and avoid duplication. .
• Determine the priority across projects and ensure that it is conducted in the most efficient manner.
• Provide Programme Managers / CoC leader with status reports
• Make appropriate use of external suppliers.
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• To introduce best practice into the test facility from a data capture and post processing perspective
• Reports directly to the section Senior Manager
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
o Minimum honours degree or equivalent in Mechanical, Automotive or Electrical Engineering
o Fundamental understanding of the internal combustion engine and its test techniques
o Significant data analysis experience, with specific case study examples for smarter testing techniques
o Detailed knowledge and understanding of the workings of a modern test-bench (CAS, ADAPT, INCA, IEEE802.1.ak Protocol, AVL PUMA, AVL Concerto, Sierra CP Cadet etc)
o Ability to work with different IT systems and able to get them communicating with each other
o Excellent IT skills & experience of appropriate software applications including latest data logging software
o Design of Experiments experience using Mathworks MBC or ETAS ASCMO
o Expert in data processing, able to interpret and analyse results using specialist tools, plus spreadsheets/databases
o Technical report writing skill
o Good working knowledge of engineering processes and process change
o Structured approach to problem solving 8D / DFSS
o Prepared to spend several weeks at time operating within SMTC Shanghai in China or overseas
o The ability to operate in an environment where patience & understanding will support target delivery
o Prepared to spend a significant amount of time in the test facility
o Good communication skills, able to interact at all levels of the organisation
o Ability to plan activities through continually changing priorities
o Enthusiastic, self motivated, patient and determined to succeed.
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• External suppliers.
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management.
• Engineering COC Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers.
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).