OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
• To develop Gasoline EMS Calibrations to meet legislative emissions and SAIC vehicle characteristic requirements for a range of engines using PFI and GDI fuel systems, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged.
• Carry out activities to include but not limited to the delivery of driveability, emissions, climatic and altitude for SAIC’s Global Markets (EU,ROW & China) through test bed and vehicle use. These activities will include hot and cold climate tests and support for the necessary regulatory on-board diagnostics testing with frequent travel, including some to China.
• Able to assist with PT project planning and proposals under consideration and equally be a pro-active team member within Powertrain Integration leading and/or assisting in the implementation of new process improvements to ensure SAIC competitiveness and success moving forward
• Reporting to the PTI Snr Manager for Gasoline EMS Calibration activity.
• Be a team player within gasoline calibration team in the delivery of gasoline calibration activities to the SAIC PDS or SOR processes.
• Assist the PTI Snr Manager with status reports and appropriate completed sign off documentation for the respective allotted vehicle programme.
• Support weekly team meetings and technical reviews.
• Deliver Powertrain EMS calibration development in vehicle, on chassis rolls and engine dynamometer internally or externally to SAIC UK operation as required.
• Assist SAIC Ride and Drive events and perform competitor benchmarking activities.
• Assist in developing EMS calibration sign off criteria.
• Ensure that the appropriate test standards are applied and are reviewed / updated as technology progresses.
• Support development of and use of, new technologies and/or processes within the department.
• Support in-market and environment testing.
• The role requires frequent overseas travel to climatic test locations and to SMTC Shanghai
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• Deliver SAIC products to all legal emissions standards and meeting or exceeding the required project VTS targets.
• Work areas of vehicle and dynamometer calibration for emissions, driveability and start.
• Manage effective delivery of all assigned aspects of the calibration task
• Support calibration programme team leader in managing priorities workload to ensure most effective use of resources and time including environmental test trips.
• Support report out on the programme calibration status.
• Execute programme rectification plans.
• Support the development of new calibration tools and techniques including DOE
• To keep abreast of impact of Legislation needs inclusive of calibration requirements going forward
• Liaise with colleagues within SI, OBD and PT Electronic to ensure fully integrated EMS calibration activities are undertaken, in the most effective way.
• Directly support current market and or other feature team calibration requests.
• Support EMS supplier liaison and supplier technical development
• To undertake benchmarking where appropriate
• Work with workstream teams to ensure test plans and activities reflect needs of calibration and Business needs
• To support Calibration staff Globally - UK and China
• Reports to: Calibration and System Integration Senior Manager
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Up to 5 years experience within an Engine Calibration delivery team, either with OEM or a consultancy.
• Minimum HND in Mechanical Engineering or similar relevance.
• Good working knowledge of Bosch EMS and ETAS INCA toolset. MATLAB experience desirable.
• Knowledge of European emissions legislation.
• Knowledge of the Chinese automotive / OEM industry an advantage.
• Ability to prioritise, separating what’s important from what’s urgent.
• Good understanding of competitors products.
• Strong future thinking, out of the box thinking – able to identify new opportunities
• Exceptional communication skills
• Legal ability to work within the UK
• Full UK or EU driving licence
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• External suppliers.
• Educational establishments (universities etc). Encourage team members inclusion in this process
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• SAIC/SMTC Senior management.
• Engineering COC Department heads, Team Leaders and Engineers.
• UK support functions, including finance, HR, Purchasing
HOURS OF WORK
The employee is required to work 37 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday 08:00am to 16:45pm and Friday 08:00am to 12:00pm.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Please note, it is unlawful to employ a person in a UK-based job who does not have permission to live and work in the UK. You should make yourself aware of how immigration laws apply to your situation before applying for any jobs. (Refer: Home Office Website).